Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Sony Wii

Ain't she a beaut? Sony's answer to Wii's success, and it is still very much a mystery on how this whole thing is going to pan out. I think at this point, it will be tough for Microsoft or Sony to dethrone Wii from it's motion controlled throne. There is a whole lot to be said about being first.

So apparently the tech is much better than the "wiimote". I wish I could get a hands-on but I'm not special enough. It does look sleeker. It may have extra curricular purposes....It's powered by bluetooth, much like Wii's baby, except Nintendo was smart and let their nunchuck connect directly into the remote. Sony uses bluetooth for both controllers, and because of that, only two pairs of dildo/nunchuck can be used at one time. It's quite limiting, and a strange decision on Sony's part. A big selling point about motion controls is that they offer pretty fun parties. Who doesn't love watching their friends flail their arms around like gorillas? It just seems strange, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it fixed.

Nintendo has released a lot of shovelware as a result of the Wii's entrance into the mainstream. If you keep digging however, you'll find some real gems, made even better by the motion controls. The Metroid games are a great example. The Conduit is another. Sony can learn a thing or two from these shooters. I'd be shocked if they released a big name like Resistance or Killzone exclusively for the Move device, but it would offer a nice alternative. 

I'm not sure how I feel about Sony and MSoft's move into the mainstream motion control realm. I don't think it'll be as big of a payoff as they hope. Sony really stuck to the script, releasing what seems to be a sleeker counterpart to Wii's remotes. At least Microsoft is releasing something new altogether. I'll let you know about how I feel about Project Natal another night. For now, I'm off!

No comments:

Post a Comment